Saturday, March 03, 2007

Gary Singer exposed

Melbourne City Deputy Lord Mayor caught out telling Grand Prix porkies in the year of the pig

Melbourne City Councillor and Deputy Lord Mayor has been exposed in an article published in the Age newspaper claiming that he was not properly informed and never told about the proposed 100km/hour Grand Prix horn ride down Lygon Street Carlton. Reports in the Age newspaper indicate that the City Council had been discussion the proposed 100km/hr promotional joy ride extensively over the last three month. Questions have been raised about the truthfulness of the Deputy Lord Mayor's statements and claims that he was not properly informed.

Cr Singer is quoted as saying "'I had no understanding as to what the speed was going to be' The deputy Lord Mayor admitted he may have received the note but not read it."

Cr Singer ,who has been the subject of controversy, was the subject of an inquiry last year by the Law Institute for breaches of professional ethics in relation to his private legal practice. Cr Singer was de-registered from practicing law in Tasmania following a damming report from the legal professions watchdog to the State Parliament. In 2005 Cr singer was also the subject of a review by the Victorian Law Society were he was found guilty of professional misconduct for withholding funds and payments held in trust.

Councillor 'not told' of Ferrari limit
Source: The Age
Clay Lucas
March 3, 2007

DESPITE receiving a detailed briefing note last month saying the original plan for today's Ferrari Festival on Lygon Street was to run a formula one car down Lygon Street at speeds of up to 100 km/h, Deputy Lord Mayor Gary Singer says he was never told about the plan.

Today, an F1 car will drive down Lygon Street at 60 km/h an hour, despite the initial plans.

Melbourne City Council had for three months talked with the Grand Prix Corporation about the 100 km/h speed limit but the council and the corporation dropped the plans after pressure from Tourism Minister Tim Holding, who did not want to be seen to be promoting hooning.

"I had no understanding as to what the speed was going to be," said Cr Singer, who admitted he may have received the note but not read it.

"I doubt I saw it — I get two inches of paper a day (from Melbourne City Council)," he said. "I was briefed on the day."

Cr Singer said that the launch of today's event had not been handled well, but that it would still be a wonderful day.

"It couldve been handled better but that's life," he said.

On January 20, when the council was still planning to run the Ferrari at 100km/h, local chef 27-year-old Damian Cooper was killed in an alleged hit-run collision.

His father, Mark, has campaigned hard against running the F1 car over Lygon Street's 50 km/h speed limit, and wants the street's speed limit reduced permanently to 40 km/h.

Accompanying the F1 Ferrari being driven at 60 km/h will be a parade of 60 vintage Ferraris celebrating the 60th anniversary of the car company.

No comments:

Post a Comment